Image source: Ekantipur.com
Nationalism is a system created by people who believe their nation is superior to all others .most often this sense of superiority has its roots in shared ethnicity other countries build nationalism around a shared language, religion, culture or the set of social values. The nation emphasizes shared symbols, folklore and mythology .shared music, literature, and spots may further strengthen Nationalism. Nationalists work towards a self-governing state their government’s controls aspects of the economy to promote the nations self-interests it sets policies that strengthen the domestic entities that own the factors of production.
1. It develops the infrastructure of the nation. National pride means careering for what is yours when there is a strong sense of nationalism then there are programs put in place to care for roads bridges and other needed infrastructure items.
2. It inspires people to succeed. The American dream is an example of nationalism the idea that someone can come to the US from anywhere, pursue their own version of happiness and achieve what they want to achieve in life is an effort many wishes to have access.
3. It gives a nation a position of strength. One should always negotiate from a position of strength a nation can be as strong as it can possibly be as a community and this can give it global negotiating power.
4. Nationalism brings about Patriotism. This is the feeling if love devotion and sense of attachment to a homeland and alliance with others, this is all caused by the nationalism of the citizens in the country.
5. Brings about the duty to the nation above all. If the rights of the nation spring from its obligations it is principally from those that relate to itself ….and above all the singularly manly brave and adventurous character of the nation.
6. Unity in the group even in diversity .the challenge of achieving unity in diversity even though basic knowledge regarding suitable language or nonverbal is brought by nationalism.
7. Leads to pride in belonging to the nation. as a citizen of the country nationalism will bring about the pride of being part of the nation or belonging to the nation.
8. Working together for the motherland even when living in a different country. Some of the citizens work together with their country or nation despite being away from their nation this is all caused by nationalism.
9. Working for the all-round development of the nation. Nationalism ensures that the involved participant does work all round to the development of the nation.
10. Bring justice and rule of law. Nationalism could bring about justice in a nation and better rule of law.
1. It often leads to separation and loneliness. Nationalism superiority often causes a country to not only be independent of the rest of the world but also separated from the rest of the world treaties can become more difficult to form or it can become difficult to have a strong export/import market.
2. It can lead to socioeconomic cliques. Nationalism doesn’t occur at the community level it does occur at the individual level which may lead to people separating themselves based on the labels they create on their own.
3. It can lead to war. When two nations focused on nationalism clash in their ideas both will feel that they are right and the other is wrong.If either feels like their values are under attack then nationalism can also become the foundation of war.
4. In some case going to extreme left/right fringes in the name of security of the nation. Extreme fingers caused by nationalism may be caused in the name of the secure ring the security of the country involved.
5. The intolerance that may lead to hatred. Sometimes creating intolerance for their countries going to an extent of extreme hatred for people of another country.
6. May lead to insults and hurting. Nationalism may lead to Insulting and hurting others nationalities religion/social and cultures.
7. Have prejudice about others.This is having an effective feeling towards others in the nation or having a reasonable feeling or opinion .which can all be caused by the nationalism.
8. One thinks for only one’s nation.Thinking for only own nation without any concern for the country actually living in.
9. Weighing majority and minority concerns .in nation nationalism may bring about problems in the weighing majority and the minority concerns.
10. Human abuses of power.in the nationalism if there are abuses of power there would be no accountability or neither justice in the nation.