Image source: nowfoods.com
L-theanine is a type of amino acid found in tea-leaves and in some mushrooms known as Bay Bolete. It is also sold in form of tablets and is suitable for promoting relaxation and easing stress. Before taking this supplement, look at the following pros and cons to understand the potential health benefits and risk associated with it.
1. Anxiety and stress relief: Taking a cup of green tea rich in l-theanine compound help to relieve stress and anxiety. It makes you feel relaxed without causing any drowsiness. It can improve the symptoms of people with schizophrenia disorder.
2. Increase focus: Taking it together with small amounts of caffeine can increase your focus, help you stay alert, and attentive when performing a demanding task.
3. Cancer treatment: L-theanine found in Bay Bolete mushrooms can boost the effectiveness of chemotherapy drugs. This increases the drug ability to fight cancer cells and other tumors. Taking green tea regularly can also lower the rate of cancer risk.
4. Boost immune system: It improves the body’s immune system, decreases the risk of respiratory tract infections, and improve the inflammation of the intestinal tract.
5. Improve sleep quality: Taking l-theanine supplement before bedtime can help improve the quality of sleep. Taking 200mg of the supplement to reduce your resting heart rate thus increasing relaxation.
6. Aid in weight loss: The supplement contains anti-obesity effects that reduce the likelihood of weight gain to some people thus promoting weight loss.
7. Anti-oxidant: The supplement contains anti-oxidant properties which can clear unwanted brain toxins and reduce oxidation of LDL cholesterol.
8. Control blood pressure: If you experience high blood pressure after carrying some stressful mental tasks, taking l-theanine can help control your blood pressure and prevent cardiovascular damage.
9. Relief sinusitis: L-theanine can help boost cilia movement in the nose thus clearing up mucus. If you’re experiencing sinusitis, taking this supplement or just a cup of tea containing l-theanine will give you some relief.
10. Neuroprotective: The supplement can act as a protector against brain damage.
1. Side effects: Taking too much of caffeinated drinks will cause other problems like upset stomach, dizziness, nausea, headaches, and irritation.
2. Change in appetite: Some people experience appetite changes after taking the supplement. When l-theanine in green tea is combined with caffeine, it leads to suppression of appetite.
3. Reduce the efficiency of cancer drugs: The polyphenol EGCG component found in green tea can interfere with chemotherapy drugs and make them inefficient. Patients taking chemotherapy drugs should consult with the doctor on the amount of green tea to take.
4. Drug interaction: L-theanine interacts with CNS depressants like anxiolytic sedatives or alcohol and other drugs causing some side effects.
5. Reduce blood pressure: Consumption of the supplement in large quantities may lead to reduced hypertension and increase attenuate stress-induced blood pressure on some individuals.
6. Alter brain waves: L-theanine alters brain waves by increasing the alpha waves among the stress-up individuals or those who are anxious.
7. Cognitive performance: The supplement may decrease cognitive performance when taken in high doses in isolation.
8. Pregnant women: Pregnant and breastfeeding women should take green tea with caution. They should limit how much they take for the safety of baby and mother.
9. Gastrointestinal discomfort: Another side effect of taking the supplement is having gastrointestinal pain or discomfort. Immediately you take the product you may feel some discomfort with your digestive system or some stomach pain.
10. Low energy: Although the product promotes physical and mental relaxation, it may reduce overall energy to some people.