Image source: nowfoods.com
L-carnitine is one of the popular health supplements for burning fats, increase brain function and prevent diseases. Your body contain carnitine made from the liver and kidney. It helps the body cells produce the energy needed to increase performance and enhance your mood. Carnitine is also available in form of a supplement and as an energy drink. It is one of the safe and effective supplements that contains a lot of antioxidants with various compounds like acetyl-L-carnitine (ALC) and Propionyl-L-carnitine. Let’s look at the pros and cons of the drink.
1. Improve brain functioning: The ALC compound found in the supplement is used to boost brain functioning and cognition.
2. Remove body toxics: Carnitine produced by liver and kidney helps in removing toxic compounds from the mitochondria cells.
3. Improve energy levels: L-Carnitine is used to improve the energy levels in the body especially to people with genetic disorders or suffering from other diseases. It helps individual sustain high levels of oxygen in the body during exercise.
4. Boost fertility in men: Carnitine improves fertility in men by improving semen quality. It reduces cell death in the testes and increases energy in the sperm cells.
5. Diabetes: Consumption of L-Carnitine enables the body to efficiently use insulin reducing the risk of diabetes. The supplement can improve blood sugar levels for those with prediabetes.
6. Treat Alzheimer’s disease: The supplement is used to slow down or improve the mental ability of people with Alzheimer disease.
It can also improve mental ability to alcoholic people.
7. Weight loss: L-carnitine contributes to weight loss in younger people. It burns fats into energy, reduces lactic acid produced during the exercise, increases carnitine muscle levels, and speeds of recovery from strenuous exercise stress. This contributes to weight loss.
8. Reduce fatigue: Taking 250g of carnitine, three times a day in cancer patients receiving chemotherapy and radiation therapy can reduce fatigue, improve their mood, and enhance patient’s performance.
9. Improve sleep quality: Patients suffering from obstructive sleep apnea use Carnitine to improve breathing airway and improve their overall sleep quality. Sleep apnea is a condition in which breathing starts and stops during sleep.
10. Anti-depressant: The ALC act as an anti-depressant component which improves dysthymia condition associated with depression especially in older people.
Frequent consumption of the supplement reduce symptoms of depression.
1. Nausea: Some people may experience nausea and stomach upset after taking L-carnitine supplement. Individuals may also experience diarrhea, vomiting or have fishy body odor.
2. Heart disease: Drinking large quantities of l-carnitine energy drink can lead to the metabolism of TMAO which contributes to heart disease. Changes in cholesterol metabolism may lead to a build-up of plague in the arteries resulting in a blood clot and restrict blood circulation. This condition makes it hard for the heart to pump blood leading to heart disease.
3. Oxidative stress: Long-term use of the product may result in oxidative stress in the blood or liver.
4. Side effects: It can cause muscle weaknesses, abdominal cramps, and seizures to people suffering from heart disease.
5. Inhibit thyroid function: The supplement inhibit thyroxine and triiodothyronine entry into the cells therefore if you suffer from hypothyroid, l-carnitine will make the condition worse.
6. Inhibit kidney functioning: L-carnitine supplement may disrupt the functioning of the kidney through the ion transporters in the mice.
7. Production of reactive oxygen: Long-term use of the product will accelerate production of reactive oxygen species in your liver or affect blood in mice.
8. Cause psychosis: It can cause psychosis to people with bipolar disorder.
9. Drug interactions: If your taking blood thinning drugs, calcium-channel blockers or other drugs, you should consult your doctor before taking a carnitine supplement. It also interacts with various herbs reducing blood sugar in the body.
10. Pregnant women: Pregnant or breastfeeding mothers are advised not to take the supplement.