Hearing is one of the five basic senses. Sometimes complications of the ear can lead to deafness. Various solutions for this include a cochlear implant. A cochlear implant is usually a surgical implant of an electronic device in the inner ear to aid in hearing. Implants have for long been used by people and come with many benefits. Some of the merits of a cochlear implant include:
1. Improves sound perception: These implants can give a person with hearing impairments the increased ability to hear. Together with other therapies proper communication can be enhanced.
2. More safety: By increasing the ability to hear the person is secured from certain dangers that one responds to by use of sounds.
3. Gives opportunity to smooth practice and career: If the implants correct the hearing defect, this will enable the person to learn easily by use of sound devices hence an assurance to achieve career goals. Training will also be easier as one does not need interpreters to acquire career skills from the tutor.
4. Enhances speech development: Being able to share ideas and receive information is usually a golden opportunity. Having an effective implant will enable the child or even adult to listen and speak with ease when compared to one who lacks the implant.
5. One gets an opportunity to enjoy music again: An adult or child whose hearing improves can listen to favorite playlists or one starts to enjoy melodious music for the first time in life.
6. Most implants respond positively: most people will experience the benefits of the implant within a short time hence regaining a normal life.
7. Promotes self-esteem: In case normal hearing is retained to some level, a person feels being in a courageous position to live to the fullest with self-confidence.
8. One can now make telephone calls: Communication using electronic gadgets is very compulsory for every human being. Most of the communication devices that use sound are easier for the user by persons with hearing impairment when the cochlear implant is done.
9. Replaces the need for sign language: Sign language is used in cases when a person cannot perceive sound waves. With cochlear implants, hearing can be improved to the extent that sign language is done away with.
10. Children are able to complete education normally: Every child aims at receiving a quality education with minimum disruptions. For students with hearing problems, a solution such as cochlear implants must be sought. Knowledge is thus easily impacted on pupils or students as fewer difficulties are encountered during learning.
1. High costs: Those lacking enough funds or insurance covers will be disadvantaged for they will need to dig more into their pockets to pay for costly procedures involved.
2. Surgery is sometimes a must: We all know how sometimes this surgical procedure can turn out to be since it involves sensitive parts. Bleeding and another complication can arise which may become severe to the extent of death in case the type of medical support is poor. Anesthesia which results in adverse effects in some people is also used in surgery.
3. Regular maintenance required: Cochlear implants require regular repairs like changing of battery and medical support which can be a bother to its user.
4. Precaution required during play and vigorous activities: For children playing must be done with precaution to avoid damaging the mounted device. Those who may work in industries might also be restrained from activities that are extremely energetic.
5. Varying hearing performance: Different people respond differently to the implants. An implant that is successful in a certain person is not a sure win for another.
6. Effects of background noise: Background noise found in most places need some measures to curb it. More instruments can be required to solve this problem.
7. Cochlear implants do not completely cure deafness: The implants are only good in improving the hearing ability to certain levels and are not an assurance of complete healing.
8. Possible infections after the implant: A surgical procedure can turn out infectious which is not a good case anymore. This can force doctors to remove the implants thus adding more costs. Other diseases like bacterial meningitis also prone to people who take the implant.
9. Future non-existence of the manufacturer of the implant can be disastrous: The implant is usually designed to stay for a long time. However in times when the manufacturer of the implant stops production, maintenance and support of the implant; this can be a huge setback.
10. Natural sound is better: The implants are too artificial and are not comparable to the natural sound perceived a normal ear.