Staff in an organization or any other field of work, determine whether profits are made or not. Employees are the foundation for growth and better output. Human labor which is both physical and mental is considered a basic factor of production. However, proper output of human labor is heavily dependent on health of staff, work standards and sometimes their pay. In forty hour work week, employees work for a normal five or six working days with each day being allocated eight to nine hours instead of the most recent four-day schedule with ten hours every day. The weekends are thus shorter for the staff after a long week of working. This working method has been there for a long time and had a significance in the job market
1. Less fatigue: Due to shorter hours employees are not usually stressed with large work-loads. Employees do not get tired easily as there are breaks at set intervals for resting. This may increase productivity with minimal errors being made.
2. Human efficient: with less fatigue humans tend to work more and at greater speeds. This makes it’s a fruitful strategy of working.
3. Gives room for personal business and hobbies: Being free at least some time each day is an opportunity to invest and devote to an extra paying task elsewhere.
4. High quality service: Due to the less work on employees and peace of mind the company or organization enjoys fine outputs.
5. Early home return: Those with work places far from their homes get some time to make their journey back after completion of the eight hours a day. Staff who might still have young children are thus usually advantage as they cook and prepare them well before it`s even dark.
6. Its common: students in schools and universities are used to studying for lesser hours a day and taking some breaks hence for new job recruits; it becomes very easy to adapt to their job.
7. Full utilization of labor: Due to eased working schedules every staff is able to work comfortably.
8. Can be applied in any industry: Actual since it’s the most utilized work strategy in different parts of the world its can be used in various fields of work. Every firm can afford this working strategy for its employees.
7. Cheaper to run and less risky: Unlike in a four day working schedule this strategy assures the employers of good work to be done by the staff. Little mechanisms are supposed to be put in place to ensure smooth running unlike the other work strategy.
9. Easier work problem solving: Incase problems at work places arise the employer has ample time to resolve.
10. Time framing-the employees work in the framed work period hence even to manage their own time.
1. Time wastage: some time may be wasted on breaks and meetings held in the company.
2. May contribute to environmental pollution: Due to the many days of work in a week each employee with a car may use it hence large carbon emission amounts from combusting fuel into the atmosphere.
3.May turn expensive over time: to ensure a firm`s operation run smoothly almost throughout the week may require more resources than running it for less days in a week say four days and the rest used as rest by staff.
4. Less productive if proper measures are not put in place: If time saving measures are not laid out the company may incur loses as staff may turn to be so at ease in their duties.
5. More Travel expenses are incurred: Most of the Staff usually drive to work almost always in a week which is very costly for employees residing far from work place.
6. Sometimes discourages team work: since no one is in a hurry to perform the given allocated task, employees may tend to work alone, slowly but surely without requiring the help of fellow staff members.
7. Lacks balance between work and personal life likings: In most cases this strategy is work-oriented as it involves employees undertaking their work duties almost throughout the entire week with less time for rest, hobbies and personal likings, hence one may feel dissatisfied.
8. Work schedules may be interrupted: Due to regular breaks and meetings, certain tasks may not be performed smoothly.
9. Work days are strictly compulsory: Unlike in a four day work pattern where one can choose his or her best four working days, in this strategy it’s a must each employee to avail him or herself at the work stations without fail.
10. Dissatisfaction from those who would like to have life: Some employees may feel that they need more days off; but this may not be achievable always hence displeasure with their jobs.