Chickens are kept in backyard coops where they have cages which are clean, dry and well ventilated and surely its conducive for their stay. Nowadays most people residing in urban areas have adopted to have backyard chooks contrary to previously chicken kept in farms in spacious suburban lawn. Having backyard chooks have a lot of benefits which include:
1. Quality eggs: Hens in backyard chooks always give high quality eggs which taste much better as compared to those bought from stores.
2. Low-maintenance: It’s easy to maintain chickens in backyard chooks because they require little more than feeding, watering and regular cage upkeep thus advantageous to take great care for compared to other family pets.
3. Cheap upkeep: Whoever keeps chicken in backyard chooks will cut off the costs as he/she incurs minimal expenses on food and other miscellaneous expenses hence its cheap in terms of costs as compared to in other method.
4. Compost and garden extras: Indeed, chicken poops are considered natural lawn fertilizers as they revive grasses and make garden appear tidy. Chicken in backyard chooks always gives a lot of poops which are useful to the owner.
5. Pest control mechanism: Having chicken in backyard chooks helps to do away with troublesome pests and irritating weeds around grazing zone as they search for their food thus owner may opt to use no or little chemical in treatment of lawn.
6. Unique pet: Though they are not as engaging as dogs and cats, chickens do have little characters and if one raises and handle them friendly they will easy be domesticated and trained as in other pets.
7. Education: Its helpful to have chickens in backyard because it allows family to develop process of growing and producing their own food rather than being dependent on other firms for food production.
8. Helps clean yard: Chicken ensure cleanliness of yard when they are kept in backyard as they do away with harvested garden beds of weeds and eat fallen fruits from trees before they start rotting and attract bugs.
9. Chicken are like a natural garbage disposal: Chicken normally eats food remains and kitchen refuses that are disposed like vegetable peelings, rice, fruits and seeds which is done better when one has backyard chooks.
10. Its source of prestige: Chicken keepers in backyard chooks are considered prestigious in most society thus boosting status in society. Most people are proud of having backyard chooks in view of status.
1. High initial costs: Its expensive to start backyard chooks as one need to purchase the chickens, feeding, watering and heating supplies as well as chicken cage itself which requires a lot of capital to fund.
2. In consistence ordinances: There are rules and regulations which guide keeping of chicken in backyard chooks which vary from one city to another thus people using backyard chooks must adhere to these rules and regulations in their specific area of their residence.
3. Unpleasant neighbors: There are people living next door who claims that chicken in backyard chooks are disturbing and they are completely uncomfortable about their stay in backyard thus its stressful to the owners.
4. Breed Incompatibility: There are different types of breeds with different personalities from strong egg-layers to more brooding types. Incase one picks chicken breed that does not suit their preference and lifestyle, he/she could run into problems.
5. Coop upkeep: Although chicken in backyard chooks are relatively easy to keep maintain, it does not mean there are zero maintenance. There are couple of works like cleaning coops, keeping them dry and ensuring proper ventilation. Inaddtion they require steady supply of fresh food and water.
6. Destructive tendencies: When chickens are left to roam around the garden on their own without supervision they can cause real damages like destroying beauty of landscape and flowers.
7. Natural predators: Usually chickens have a lot of natural predators from coyotes to domestic dogs. Even when taking precautions like fitting of break-in-proof in their coops at some point one will lose chickens to predators.
8. Chicken diseases: Often in backyard chooks, there are threats of hazardous diseases like fowl fox and infectious bronchitis that chickens are contracting that may even lead to death thus lowering confidence of backyard chooks keepers.
9. Threat to theft: In backyard chooks, chickens are often prone to theft which would cause a big blow to chicken keeper because they undergone a lot of losses.
10. Noise disturbance: Mostly chickens make a lot of noise especially those kept in backyard hindering concentration during study, family gathering and meetings which are of great importance.